The Dot Code Mapping (DCM) system was developed by Zipp3D Industrial to help glass manufacturers reduce waste and improve automation capabilities associated with container identification.
How It Works
The DCM technology reads dot codes from glass containers using
advanced Machine Vision (MV) methods and makes the mold
identifier available to people and automation.
The identification of the mold on the line can be critical to improving
efficiency and reducing waste, both goals affect the bottom line.
The identification allows for immediate, and decisive action by
personnel. Systemic defects can be responded to more effectively
when the product can be identified by mold. Identification can be
integrated before, with, or after other manufacturing cells process product.
The DCM technology is comprised of camera(s), lighting elements, one or more single board computers
and network interfaces. Zipp3D’s modular design ensures that the solution can be integrated in a variety
of ways depending on the design. The camera(s) can be moved or set to a fixed position. For example, a
robotic arm can be used to move a container within a camera’s field of view or move the camera itself
around or by containers. These dynamic deployment options allow integration into even the most
“DOT CODE MAPPING”
DCM can be used in a variety of ways, such as:
MONITOR PRODUCTION LEVELS
- Identify a mold for a container that is being scrapped, after, or in concert with quality control inspection cells.
- Identify which molds are the cause of waste.
- Signal the need to create more product due to waste (by tracking volume of a production run).
SAMPLING AND PICKING
- Identify one or more molds, for which some product can be pulled off the line for automated or manual inspection.
- Identify product to pull off the line for a customer during a facility tour or production run.
- Identify bottles needed for filling in automated lines.
Manufactured bottles of various types or sizes can be selected for filling automatically since it is possible to discriminate the type, size, and quality of a container.
AUTO-SORTING BY MOLD
- Utilize the picking process by mold to move or sort containers from one line to another, either for purposes of Quality Control or Filling, etc.